Dr Kate Allen
South Cloisters 2.05
South Cloisters, University of Exeter, St Luke's Campus, Heavitree Road, Exeter, EX1 2LU, UK
Kate Allen is a Research Fellow in the Children and Young People’s Mental Health Research Collaboration (ChYMe) and currently works on a UKPRP-funded project called Kailo. Kailo is a framework which aims to support communities in understanding and addressing the underlying determinants of adolescent mental health. Currently, Kailo is being implemented in two sites: Northern Devon and Newham. Kate is working with colleagues at Exeter and UCL on a realist evaluation of Kailo to examine how Kailo works, for whom, and under what circumstances. Kate also works on several other projects including CHANGES, LAC Transition Hub and Becoming A Man (BAM).
Kate recently completed her NIHR Applied Research Collaboration South West Peninsula (PenARC) PhD examining interventions that might have combined impacts on parental domestic violence and abuse, parental mental ill-health, and parental substance misuse. Her work has a strong focus on families, considering how adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) cluster and how we might work to improve support for families experiencing clustered-risk. Prior to her PhD, Kate worked on a number of research projects involving children and families, including a large randomised controlled trial and process evaluation evaluating the effectiveness of a teacher classroom management course.
- PhD in Medical Studies, University of Exeter
- BSc (1st Class Hons) Psychology, University of Lincoln
Kate graduated with a 1st class honours degree in Psychology from the University of Lincoln in 2010. Following this, she worked at the University of Nottingham, the University of Exeter Medical School, and the University of Exeter Sports Science Department. Kate completed her PenARC-funded PhD in Medical Studies at the University of Exeter in April 2023 and currently works as a Research Fellow in the Children and Young People’s Mental Health Research Collaboration (ChYMe).
Research group links
- Research Fellow: Kailo. July 2023 – Present.
- Research Fellow: LAC Transition Hub, and Becoming A Man (BAM). Jan 2023 – Present.
- Research Fellow: CHANGES. Jan 2023 – Jun 2023.
- NIHR PenARC PhD studentship: Familes with multiple needs: examining ways to prevent and address co-occurring parental domestic violence and abuse, mental ill-health, and substance misuse. Oct 2019 – Apr 2023.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate: LAC Transition Hub. Jan 2020 – Dec 2022.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate: BAM. Jan 2020 – Dec 2022.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate: Supporting Teachers And childRen in Schools (STARS) 2. Jan 2019 – Jan 2020.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate: Perception and Action in Developmental Co-ordination Disorder. Mar 2018 – Apr 2019.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate: STARS RCT and Process Evaluation. Aug 2013 – Feb 2018.
- Research Assistant: Helping Our Premature Infants ON to better motor skills (HOP-ON). Sep 2010 – Jul 2013.
- PER Springboard Fund: Intervention components to support families with complex needs, funding for PPIE. £3.5k. Apr 2023 - Jul 2023.
- VAMHN: Intervention components that have common impacts across parental domestic violence, mental ill-health, and substance misuse. £25k. Jan 2022 – Mar 2023.