Get Started with Genomics CPD Course
About the course
The implementation of next-generation sequencing technologies has enabled genomics to become a mainstream subject in medicine. The UK has now adopted Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS) in clinical practice, and the use of genomic sequencing technologies in healthcare has become widespread across many countries. Healthcare professionals across the world need the skills to understand genomics and what it means for their patients.
This course will provide participants with the basic principles of genomic medicine. The content will include the distinction between genetics and genomics and a focus on understanding the different modes of inheritance. With a focus on practical case studies and a workshop-style of delivery, the course will offer the opportunity to engage with academics and fellow participants and build collaborative networks.
- Professor Anna Murray - Associate Professor in Human Genetics
- Professor Caroline Wright - Professor in Genomic Medicine
- Dr Julia Baptista - Lecturer in Clinical Education
See the Speakers page for the full faculty list.
Who is it for?
The course is aimed at clinicians and other healthcare professionals who need an introductory course in genomics. This course would be an ideal access course for those wishing to pursue further studies, in particular the MSc in Genomic Medicine.
At the end of the course the learner will be expected to be able to:
- Define the key concepts of genetics and genomics
- Understand the main approaches to genomic testing and principles of variant classification
- Understand the main modes of inheritance in humans (autosomal dominant, autosomal recessive, X-linked, and mitochondrial) and recognise their characteristic features and patterns
- Understand that genetic disorders might be inherited from an affected parent, an unaffected parent, both unaffected parents or arise spontaneously
- Apply the knowledge of mode of inheritance in the context of a clinical report and the given family scenario
- Become familiar with the basics of genome browsers to view gene information and interpret genomic information in clinical reports
For more details about the course including fees and delivery see the course details page.
For a full programme, scholarship eligibility and/or any other enquiries about the course, please email
or call +44 (0)1392 722010 / 722964