Professor Neil Vaughan
Associate Professor in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence
RILD Building 3rd Floor
University of Exeter Medical School, RILD Building, RD&E Hospital Wonford, Barrack Road, Exeter, EX2 5DW, UK
Professor Neil Vaughan is a Royal Academy of Engineering Research Fellow since 2018. His research track record is in medical technology and AI for medicine. Prof Vaughan held many tenured professorial or senior academic computer science positions within many international universities, completing 33 research supervisions and many module leaderships as HEA Fellow. His research collaborations between HEI, NHS and companies produced commercialisable patented medical devices and medical training simulators, combining AI, virtual reality (VR), computer graphics and physical haptic feedback. His patented diabetes research includes smartphone neuropathy diagnosis and Point of care testing (POCT). Professor Neil Vaughan developed extensive track record of innovation spin-outs and industry collaboration as medical research software engineer (RSE) with LogicaCMG.
Professor Neil Vaughan's research recieved several international research innovation awards and grants as PI, including NHS and technology, 2019 NHS HEAT Training Award, the IET scholarship, 3 IET Innovation awards 2013-2016, EPSRC ICT Pioneer 2014, BCS, NHS Acorn award 2014, 2006 Brunel University medal, 2005 Blackwell publishing prize, 1999 Rotary international council research award. Before returning to academia he was involved with founding one of the first leading dot-com bubble computing R&D Ltd companies based in Exeter in 1980s-1990s whilst studying computing at Exeter.
- BSc (Hons) Computer Science
- MSc and PhD, Artificial Intelligence
- Royal Academy of Engineering, Research Fellowship.
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy (HEA).
- Senior member of IEEE & AISB.
- Scholarship and Innovation Awards from IET.
Professor Neil Vaughan’s research track record includes AI, data science and health technology. His publications and awards track record include Virtual Reality (VR), medical training simulators, haptic feedback and artificial life. He is principal investigator and recipient of many research grants and awards in areas of innovation and AI, founding chair of AI and health technology workshops and Editor for Journal of Behavioral Robotics. He actively develops international collaborations in robotics, AI and health technology consortiums.
- Analysis of MRI, Ultrasound and CT scans, including analysis of Pancreas in Diabetic patients.
- Diabetic Retinopathy Image Analysis.
- Patented Diabetic Neuropathy Assessment Smartphone App and Medical 3D Printed Devices.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) for DIY Looping and real-time data analysis with AI Trace Analyser for Diabetes Patients.
- Blood Glucose Monitoring for Diabetes in Sub Saharan Africa.
- Genetics Machine Learning and AI for monogenic diabetes.
- Royal Academy of Engineering, Research Fellowship - Frameworks for Virtual Reality Medical Training Simulators: Skill Assessment and Tissue Modelling.
- Health and Care Research Wales: Pathway to Portfolio Funding. ParaVR CPR Training Simulator for Schools.
- Bevan Commission, Welsh Health Hack Winner, ParaVR – VR training simulator for paramedics.
- Santander Universities International Research Excellence Award Funding (IREA), Evolving Neural Networks.
- Cultural and Education Section of the British Embassy, British Council NSF-China Newton Researcher Links Workshop.
- National Science Foundation (NSF) of China , Workshop on Health and Well-being Through VR and AR.
- Newton Fund – British Council, Edutainment 2019 Conference, Xi’an China.
- Collaboration Fund, IEEE Conference on Evolving & Adaptive Intelligent Systems, Greece.
- Higher Education Innovation Funding (HEIF) - SMART Technology research group – REF impact & outreach.
- Research and Knowledge Exchange (RKEO) Research Fellowship Award.
- Research Excellence Framework (REF) Impact Accelerator Fund -Epidural Simulator Virtual Reality.
- AAGBI Large Research Grant - Epidural Simulator Virtual Reality.
- Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) Early Career Grant.
- NHS Acorn Innovation Challenge: 1st place - Neuropathy Smartphone Health Device (Patented).
- European Union (EU) IRIS Collaboration UK-China, RABOT Project with Shanghai Xiaotong University (#1 in China).
- Newton Fund: Institutional Links Research Workshop.
- Wessex Academic Health Science Network, Innovation Award Fund, Development of virtual reality NHS training.
- Royal Bournemouth & Christchurch Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Research Funding, Development of Smartphone apps for Health (Patented).
- Scholarship of Institution of Engineering & Technology (SIET) (Only 2 in the UK).
- American Society of Mechanical Engineering (ASME) Innovation Showcase Grant, Collaboration with Harvard, Yale, MIT.
- OAA (Obstetric Anaesthetists Association), Large Project Grant, Clinical Trial and Device Development.
Publications by category
Publications by year
Neil_Vaughan Details from cache as at 2022-10-04 16:24:11
External Engagement and Impact
- Recipient of the NHS England, Health Education and Technology (HEAT) award 2019 for NHS Digital and Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) Innovator.
- 2019 Best Dissertation Project, to supervised student (Lindenmayer Systems).
- Winner of Welsh Health Gadget Hack 2018.
- 1st Prize Winner of IET Innovation Awards 2016.
- Shortlisted for IET Innovation Awards 2016.
- 1st Prize at Acorn Funding Award 2016.
- Winner of NIAA/AAGBI Research Grant 2016.
- Winner of Acorn Funding Award at Headquarters of the UK Department of Health, London.
- Prestigious Academic Grant from Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU).
- 2015 - Three Highly Commended Innovation Awards from IET.
- Shortlisted for three IET awards 2015.
- The University Executive Team (UET) including Vice Chancellor’s Postgraduate Research Prize 2014.
- Finalist for National Patient Safety Awards 2013, in the Technology and IT to Improve Patient Safety category.
- Final 8 for Design of Medical Devices International Student Design Showcase 2013.
- Final 10 for American Society of Mechanical Engineering (ASME) Innovation Showcase in USA, with MIT and Harvard.
- Winner of Innovation Award from Institution of Engineering & Technology 2013.
- Winner of Scholarship in Ambition Awards from Institution of Engineering & Technology 2013.
- Winner of EPSRC ICT Pioneers 2014, Impact of novel and emerging ICT on society.
- Final 6 for the Times Higher Education (THE) Awards 2014 for outstanding ICT initiative.
- Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) - UK ICT Pioneer Award awarded to Neil Vaughan for Impact of novel and emerging ICT on society.
- Neil Vaughan’s Presentation at the House of Commons 2010, for SETforBritain, awarded by Andrew Miller MP, Past Chair of the Parliamentary and Scientific Committee.
- Brunel University London Medal 2006.
- Brunel University Best Research Award, 2005.
- Blackwell Publishing Prize 2005.
- International Rotary Council, Exeter, Research Award, 1999.
- Program Committee - ASME International Design Engineering & Technical Conference (IDETC) USA 2012-present.
- Nominated for EPSRC Strategic Advisory Team Committee, Programme Advisory Board for ICT Fundamentals 2014.
- Chair - Informatics Track, Design of Medical Devices (DMD) International Conference, Minneapolis, USA.
- International Committee - VES (Virtual Environments & Systems) conference meetings, ASME IDETC Computers and Information in Engineering Conference.
- Technical Program Committee (TPC) member Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery (FSKD) International conference. Nanyang Technological University, China 2015-16.
- Technical Program Committee (TPC) member International Conference on Natural Computation (ICNC) 2015-16.
- Founding Editor for Springer, Journal of Medical Systems (JMS), Impact Factor 2.2, Special Issue For Healthcare Intelligent Multi-Agent Systems (HIMAS) 2020, May.
- Editor for Paladyn Journal of Behavioural Robotics
- Guest Editor for Special Issue, Topical Issue on Deep Learning and Neural Systems in Robotics, PJBR.
- Editor of Journal of Computer Science & Systems Biology.
- Editorial Board – Jacobs Journal of Computer Science.
- Editor of Journal of Swarm Intelligence and Evolutionary Computation.
- Reviewer of Elsevier Medical Engineering & Physics (Impact 2.4).
- Reviewer for Journal of Computational Methods in Sciences and Engineering (JCMSE) of IOS Press.
- Reviewer for Journal Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine (CMPB), 2015.
- Reviewer for MDPI Applied Sciences.
- Reviewer for MDPI Math. Comput. Appl.
- Reviewer for MDPI Sensors.
- Reviewer for MDPI Mathematics.
- Reviewer for MDPI Robotics.
- Loughborough University 2019 research seminar.
- Seminar at 2019 Digital Industry Roadshow, Durham.
- Invited talk at UK Parliament, Westminster, 2019 Voice of the Future (VOTF) organised by the Royal Society of Biology, London.
- Invited talk at House of Lords, 2018 All Party Parliamentary Engineering Group (APPEG), London.
- Invited talk at Fellow’s Day 2018, Royal Academy of Engineering (RAEng).
- Invited talk at 2018 International Conference on Soft Computing and Machine Learning (SCML), Wuhan, China.
- Invited Workshop delivered at createChester conference 2018-2019.
- Invited talk at Edutainment 2019, Xi’an, China.
- Invited Keynote talk at 5th International Conference on Biometrics & Biostatistics. October 20-21, 2016 Houston, TX.
- Invited talk at Chinese Academy of Science Institute of Automation (CASIA), Beijing, China, Aug 25th 2015.
- Invited Keynote talk at 2015 International Conference on Advanced Mechatronic Systems, China, Beijing Univ. of Posts and Telecommunications, Aug 22nd 2015.
- Invited speaker and Track Chair for Informatics – Design of Medical Device Conference, USA 2014.
- NHS HEAT Award Video, 1st Prize 2019.
- Royal Academy of Engineering Research Forum 2018 & 2019.
- BU Annual Review 2014 – Page 4.
- Bournemouth Research Chronicle, Jan 2014, Edition 3, p12.
- ASME Mechanical Engineering Magazine, June 2013, p30-31 – Semi-finalist Innovation Showcase. – Seen by 130,000 ASME members in 158 countries worldwide, est.1880.
- NHS Grapevine magazine 2013, May/June 2011 – Issue 31, Page 11.
- The Engineer magazine – April 2013 Edition
- Politics First magazine – March 2014 Edition, advertorial feature.
- Conservative MP website, July 2014.
- Shown in the House of Commons, April 2011.
At University of Exeter, Neil Vaughan’s teaching is involved with Health Data Science MSc.
Professor Neil Vaughan’s previous teaching at many international universities has focused mainly on Health Informatics, Machine learning, computational intelligence, data science, database management (CO6002), web management (CO6027), Electronics and Design engineering at levels 4-7.
At University of Chester, for many academic years he was Associate Professor SL-B, leader and founder of the Bio-inspired Computing MSc module. He was module leader for level 6, CO6002 – Modern Database Management Systems and CO6027 – Managing a Web-based Environment for BSc Computer Science and BSc Cyber Security.
At Chandigarh University he is Visiting Full Professor in CSE Artificial intelligence & Machine Learning since 2016.
He previously taught or was module leader with tenured academic professorial / senior lecturer positions at University College Isle of Man, Laksamana College of Business Brunei, Kensington College of Business London, University of Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne USA, Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) China, Teesside University, University of West London (UWL), University of Granada Spain and Brunel University, London.
Prior to those, he was involved in teaching Level 5 Design Engineering BSc at Bournemouth University for 7 academic years 2010.