Enrico De Luca
Senior Lecturer in Nursing
South Cloisters, University of Exeter, St Luke's Campus, Heavitree Road, Exeter, EX1 2LU, UK
Enrico joined the University of Exeter in April 2022 as a Senior Lecturer in the Academy of Nursing. In addition, he has held academic positions as a research fellow for the Department of Translational Medicine (UPO), Program Lead for Postgraduation Healthcare Professions courses, specifically for Community Nursing (2019-2021) and collaborated in research projects and education with the University of Rome Sapienza - Psychology Faculty and Nursing Department.
Enrico possesses a solid clinical background (acquired in 25 years of critical care nursing in Italy and the UK) and extensive experience teaching health professions in practice.
In 2008, he created, with some Italian nurses and health professionals, a group dedicated to studying the Humanisation of Care and the use of Touch and interpersonal contact within the care relationship. Therefore, he developed an interest in studies exploring the lived experience of Illness and the person-centred model of care. Moreover, since then, he has been involved in teaching and researching Touch in the healthcare context.
In the academy of Nursing, Enrico is covering the role of clinical practice lead.
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- BSc (Hons) Nursing
- Master’s degree in Pedagogy, Adult Education and Lifelong learning
- PhD in Educational Research and Psychology
Enrico was actively involved in various Italian and international research projects, published in scientific journals, on topics such as intensive care, touch, palliative care, learning and interprofessional care, spirituality in health and innovation in health services. He is interested in mixed method and qualitative research methodologies. ResearchGate profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Enrico-De-Luca-2
- “The prevention of falls in patients with Parkinson’s disease with in-home monitoring using a wearable system: a pilot study protocol”. University of Oriental Piedmont – Department of Translational Medicine, Hospital ‘Maggiore della Carità’ Novara (Italy)
- “IFeCARE study. Family and Community Nurses’s Model of Care of the Santhià Center (Vercelli District): an Ethnographic study”. University of Oriental Piedmont – Department of Translational Medicine
- "The Palliative Care Specialization Pathways for Heath Care and Medical professions in Italy: a Sociological Study” - Unitelma Sapienza (Rome), University of Turin and University of Catanzaro.
External Engagement and Impact
Editorial Board member:
- Acta Biomedica Parmensis - https://mattioli1885journals.com/index.php/actabiomedica
- L’Infermiere – Italian NMC Official Journal -https://www.infermiereonline.org
Enrico adopts different pedagogical styles and approaches to teaching. He is interested in a natural and interactive teaching style, and he aims to design his lectures in the form of experiential workshops, bodywork experiences and interprofessional approaches to achieve valuable learning.
Since 2008, He has taught in academia, health organisations and post-graduation courses on interpersonal touch and contact in care, aiming to raise health professionals' awareness on this subject and improve patient care.
- NUR1000 - Clinical Immersion 1
- NUR3000 - Clinical Immersion 3 (Adult and Mental Health)
- NUR3050 - Clinical Immersion 3 (Adult)
- NURM100 - Clinical Immersion 4A (Adult and Mental Health)
- NURM101 - Clinical Immersion 4B (Adult)
- NURM113 - Enhancing Clinical Judgement and Decision Making in Adult Nursing