Professor of Primary Care
College House 1.12
College House, University of Exeter, St Luke's Campus, Heavitree Road, Exeter, EX1 2LU, UK
Richard moved to Exeter in 2021, after working at the University of Leeds five years as Professor of Primary Care Oncology. He continues to collaborate with Leeds on a number of projects and holds a Visiting Professorship there. Prior to this he was Professor of Primary Care Medicine at Bangor University. He has 20 years of experience of research at the interface of cancer and general practice. He is a GP, and will be working at an Exeter practice for one day a week.
- MBChB (Birmingham)
- PhD (Leeds)
Richard is interested in all aspects of the interface between cancer and primary care/general practice, and in particular the early detection and diagnosis of cancer.
His current portfolio of work spans screening (the Yorkshire Lung Screening Trial and associated studies), primary care diagnosis (the CanTest Collaborative portfolio), policy research (DHSE Policy Research Unit for Cancer Screening Awareness and Early Diagnosis), developing and testing an intervention aimed to get GPs to think about the possibility of cancer sooner and more often (the ThinkCancer trial), and technological innovation (ongoing collaboration with Pinpoint Data Science).
He is interested in developing work in application of cancer diagnostics and treatment in low-resource settings. He is also keen to work with industrial partners on the evaluation of new diagnostics and diagnostic approaches to cancer detection.
- CanTest - Detecting cancer in primary care: a paradigm shift in cancer diagnosis. Cancer Research UK
- The Yorkshire Lung Screening Trial. Yorkshire Cancer Research
- Yorkshire Kidney Screening Trial – a Yorkshire Lung Screening Trial sub-study. Yorkshire Cancer Research
- iDxLung - integrating non-invasive diagnostics into NHSE Lung Health Checks in Wessex and Yorkshire. Innovate UK
- The effect of adding a personalised smoking cessation intervention to a lung cancer screening programme. Yorkshire Cancer Research
- Early detection of bladder cancer in Yorkshire: Feasibility assessments for implementing a targeted study in populations with high disease specific mortality risk. Yorkshire Cancer Research
- · Development of a myeloma case-finding approach for higher-risk patients: analysis of routine blood tests. CRUK
- Lung Cancer Diagnosis Measurement Instrument. Gordon & Betty Moore Foundation (US)
- A Machine Learning/AI Cancer Rule-Out Test for the NHS Two Week Wait Pathway. Innovate UK
- Policy Research Unit in Cancer Awareness, Screening and Early Diagnosis. DHSC
- ‘WICKED’ (Wales Interventions and Cancer Knowledge about Early Diagnosis): The development and evaluation of primary care interventions to expedite the diagnosis of symptomatic cancer in Wales. Cancer Research Wales
- Understanding barriers and enablers to use of primary care remote consulting for suspected cancer symptoms among vulnerable populations (PhD studentship). North West Cancer Research
- Treatment choices in prostate cancer. Tenovus
- Diagnostic journeys in prostate cancer. Cancer Research Wales
External Engagement and Impact
- Chair, RCGP Scientific Foundation Board
- Member, Cancer Research UK Prevention & Population Research Committee
- Member, Myeloma UK Early Diagnosis Advisory Group
- Member, NCRI Screening Prevention and Early Diagnosis Advisory Group