Dr Erum Erum
Knowledge Spa S10
University of Exeter Medical School, Knowledge Spa, Royal Cornwall Hospital, Truro, TR1 3HD
Dr Erum joined the University of Exeter Medical School in 2020. She obtained her PhD from the University of Central Lancashire in discovering antimicrobial peptides and their mechanism of action against pathogenic bacteria. Dr Erum also got her Master’s degree in Biomedical Engineering and in Biochemistry. Her subject areas are biochemistry, cell and molecular biology and genetics.
Currently, Dr Erum is a Lead for Technology Enhanced Learning (CMH). She repreprents CMH for the AV enhancement facility for hybrid teaching.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (University of Exeter)
- Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy, AdvanceHE, UK
- PhD Antimicrobial peptides (University of Central Lancashire)
- MSc Biomedical Engineering (University of Bedfordshire)
- MSc Biochemistry (SALU, Pakistan)
Before moving to the UK, Dr Erum was trained in Biochemistry and has started her career as a lecturer at Shah Abdul Latif University, Pakistan. In 2011, She moved to the UK where she obtained Masters in Biomedical Engineering from the University of Bedfordshire. Then, Dr Erum went to the University of Central Lancashire where she got PhD in discovering the mode of action of antimicrobial peptides.
Dr Erum’s research interest lies in discovering new antimicrobial agents. Antimicrobial resistance is a major health problem throughout the world and antimicrobial peptides provide a promising alternative strategy to this health problem. Dr Erum investigated the pre-clinical drug potency of the peptides, their interaction with the membrane of host cells (cancerous & bacterial cells), the structure and function relationship, protein conformation, folding and mechanism of action of the peptide in different pH environments using microbiology, biochemistry, biophysical and computational techniques.
- Erum Malik, David A. Phoenix, Timothy J. Snape, Frederick Harris, Jaipaul Singh, Leslie H.G. Morton, Sarah R Dennison. (2021). Linearized esculentin-2EM shows pH dependent antibacterial activity with an alkaline optimum. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry. 10.1007/s11010-021-04181-7
- Mubashir Hassan, Sara Zahid, Saba Shahzadi, Erum Malik, Sumera Zaib, Jamshed Iqbal, Saba Shamim, Arif Malik. (2020). Mechanistic Insight of DACH1 receptor in the development of carcinoma insurgence through MD simulation studies. Journal of Biomolecular Structure & Dynamics. doi.org/10.1080/07391102.2020.1818624
- Wasim Ahmed, Muhammad Bilal, Amir Hayat, Muhammad Umair, Asmat Ullah, Sundus Khawaja, Erum Malik, Nousheen Gul, Umm-e- Kalsoom, Sulman Basit. (2020). Sequence variants in the WNT10B and TP63 underlying isolated split hand-split foot malformation. Genetic Testing and Molecular Biomarkers. doi.org/10.1089/gtmb.2020.0024
- Erum Malik, David A Phoenix, Kamal Badiani, Timothy J Snape, Jaipaul Singh, Frederick Harris, Sarah R Dennison. (2020). Biophysical studies on the antimicrobial activity of linearized esculentin 2EM. BBA – Biomembranes. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbamem.2019.183141
- Muhammad Umair, Amjad Khan, Safder Abbas, Farooq Ahmed, Muhammad Younus, Wajid Amin, Shoaib Nawaz, Amir Hayat, Erum Malik and Majid Alfadhel. (2019). Biallelic missense mutation in the ecel1 underlies distal arthrogryposis Type 5 (DA5D). Front. Pediatr. DOI: 10.3389/fped.2019.00343
- Muhammad Younus, Farooq Ahmed, Erum Malik et al. (2019). SGCD Homozygous Nonsense Mutation (p.Arg97∗) Causing Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy Type 2F (LGMD2F) in a consanguineous family, a Case Report. Front. Genet. doi.org/10.3389/fgene.2018.00727
- Erum Malik, Sarah R. Dennison, Frederick Harris and David A. Phoenix. (2016). pH-dependent antimicrobial peptides and proteins, their mechanisms of action and potential as therapeutic agents. Pharmaceuticals. DOI: 10.3390/ph9040067
SCIENTIFIC CONFERENCES AND MEETINGS
• Erum Erum and Wondwossen Abate. "Pictorial vs Text-based feedback in LSRC sessions in Medical Education". (2023). School of Education student-staff Research Conference, Univeristy of Exeter.
• Wondwossen Abate and Erum Erum. "Interprofessional learning through problem-based learning: oppertunities and challenges". (2023). School of Education student-staff Research Conference, Univeristy of Exeter.
• Erum Malik, Sarah R. Dennison, Frederick Harris, Jaipaul Singh and David A. Phoenix, International Meeting on Antimicrobial peptides (2018), Edinburgh.
• Erum Malik, Sarah R. Dennison, Frederick Harris, Jaipaul Singh and David A. Phoenix, International Meeting on Antimicrobial peptides (2015), London.
• Erum Malik, Sarah R. Dennison, Frederick Harris and David A. Phoenix, 4th Annual Research Student conference (2014), University of Central Lancashire.
• Erum Malik, Sarah R. Dennison, Frederick Harris, Jaipaul Singh and David A. Phoenix, Circular Dichroism Annual Meeting (2014), University of Warwick.
• Erum Malik, Poster Competition, Department of Biomedical Engineering, (2012), University of
• Erum Malik, 3 Minute Thesis presentation (2017), University of Central Lancashire.
• Erum Malik, Sarah R. Dennison, Frederick Harris and David A. Phoenix. The Post Graduate
Research Forum (2014), University of Central Lancashire.
• Erum Malik, Group meeting, School of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences (2013), University of
• Erum Malik, Department of Biomedical Engineering, (2012), University of Bedfordshire.
• Erum Malik, World Environment Day (2010), SALU, Pakistan
• Erum Malik, 1st National Training Course on Biochemical Techniques (2008), SALU, Pakistan
External Engagement and Impact
• The Biochemical Society
• The Federation of European Biochemical Societies
• The Medical Science Liaison
• The Chemical Society of Pakistan
• The Physiological Society
• The Board of Studies, Biochemistry, SALU (2011)
JOURNAL ARTICLE REVIEWER
• Pakistan Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research.
MDC2001 BMBS Medicine
Year 1 - Problem Based Learning (Small group facilitator)
Year 2 - Lectures
Year 2 - LSRC sessions provider
Special Study Units projects:
Year 2 - Global and Planetry Health
Year 3 - Research
Year 4 - Doctors as Teachers
CSC4006 - Rational Drug Design
- Medicinal Chemistry - lecture
- Comutational Drug Design - workshop
- Research proposal - workshops
CSC1909 Academic Tutoring
CSC1004 Fundamental Skills for Medical Scientists (SCG - facilitator)
CSC1005 Integrated Human Physiology (SSGL - facilitator)