New SEMS students 2022
Welcome to SEMS at the University of Exeter.
The academic teaching staff on the Medical Sciences programmes are really looking forward to meeting you during Welcome week. We wish you a safe journey to Exeter and hope that you settle well into your accommodation.
During Welcome Week you will have many opportunities to meet your fellow students and some of the teaching staff on your programmes too. As well as the fun stuff offered by the Students' Guild (such as taster sessions for various societies and sports clubs for example) you will also be attending timetabled welcome/induction sessions for your degree programmes, which will inform you about what to expect as a student here at Exeter.
A schedule for the Welcome Week activities planned for the BSc. Sport and Exercise Medical Sciences programmes will be available shortly. Once you have access to the University's teaching timetable through the iExeter student app, you can find out when and where you need to be during Welcome Week.
Details on all of the Welcome Week sessions and other important resources for new students will also be available on our Welcome Week ELE page.
We will be updating this page regularly as new details of induction and welcome activities are released. Please ensure you check back here frequently for updates.
If you have any questions about your induction or starting your studies, then the Info points are the place to go for any questions you may have about your life as an Exeter student. Ours is Info at St Luke's; you can contact them on Tel: +44 (0)1392 724837 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to welcoming you!
The teaching staff look forward to meeting you at the 'Welcome to Your Programme' academic induction session on Tuesday 20th September at 10:00am in the Alumni Auditorium in the Forum, building 3 on the (Streatham campus map).
|Monday 19 September||Bank holiday|
Tuesday 20 September
|10:00-11:00||Welcome to your programme and meet the teaching team||Alumni Auditorium, Forum|
|11:30-12:30||Biosciences Lab Induction||GP101 Teaching Laboratory (building 30)|
|12:30-15:30||Campus Open Day|
|15:30-16:00||Sports Sciences Welcome: Meet the professor||NC12 lecture theatre|
|Wednesday 21 September
||9:00-10:00||BAME and EDI session||G18 lecture theatre|
|10:00-11:00||International Students Networking Event||G18 lecture theatre|
|11:00-12:00||Mature Students Networking Event||G18 lecture theatre|
|12:00-14:00||Sport Sciences Study skills and Lab induction Session||NC12 lecture theatre|
|Thursday 22 September||9:30-10:00||Welcome to SEMS induction||G18 lecture theatre|
|10:00-11:00||Meet Your Academic Tutor Group||
either: (SCl 1.23) Dr Clare Gallon
|11:00-16:00||Campus Open Day|
|Friday 23 September||9:30-14:00||Sports Sciences Fun Day at St Luke’s||More details provided during Welcome week|
|14:00-15:00||Student Voice & Peer Support||NC12 lecture theatre|
|15:00-16:00||Marquee: Pub Quiz & refreshments|
Recommended textbooks for the Medical School modules (all available as e-textbooks from the electronic library)
- Naish, Jeanette and Syndercombe Court, Denise, 2019, Medical Sciences (3rd edition), Elsevier, ISBN 978-0-7020-7337-3 Encore -- Medical sciences / edited by Jeannette Naish and Denise Syndercombe Court. (exeter.ac.uk)
- Sherwood, Lauralee, 2016, Human Physiology: From Cells to Systems (9th edition), Cengage Learning, ISBN: 978-1-285-86693-2 Encore -- Human physiology [electronic resource] : from cells to systems / Lauralee Sherwood. (exeter.ac.uk)
- Costanzo, Linda, S. 2018, Physiology (6th edition), Elsevier, ISBN: 978-0-323-47881-6 Encore -- Physiology / Linda S. Costanzo. (exeter.ac.uk
- Cottrell, Stella 2019, The Study Skills Handbook (5th edition), Red Globe Press ISBN: 978-1-137-61089-8 Encore -- The study skills handbook [electronic resource] / Stella Cottrell. (exeter.ac.uk)
- Boyle, J. & Ramsay, S. 2017, Writing for Science Students. Palgrave. Encore -- Writing for science students [electronic resource] / Jennifer Boyle and Scott Ramsay. (exeter.ac.uk)
- Harris, M., Taylor, J. & Taylor, G., 2013, Catch Up Maths & Stats: for the life and medical sciences. Scion Publishing. Encore -- Catchup maths & stats : for the life and medical sciences / Michael Harris, Gordon Taylor, Jacquelyn Taylor. (exeter.ac.uk)