Dr. Ravi Poorun
NIHR Clinical Lecturer in Paediatrics
Living Systems Institute
Living Systems Institute, University of Exeter, Stocker Road, Exeter, EX4 4QD
Ravi is a Paediatric Clinical Lecturer in the South West Peninsula Deanery where he combines his clinical training as a paediatric registrar with his research interests in neonatal neuroscience, paediatric sleep and epilepsy.
Ravi studied Physiology & Pharmacology as an undergraduate at King’s College London before commencing medical training at Guy’s, King’s College, and St. Thomas’ Hospitals Medical School. In 2011, he was awarded the London Pain Consortium Wellcome Trust MBPhD studentship, and completed his DPhil from the University of Oxford under the supervision of Professor Rebeccah Slater. Here, Ravi sought to gain a better understanding of the development of pain perception in the human nervous system and understand the potential long-term effects of early neonatal exposure to painful and stressful events.
Ravi works closely with Professor Marc Goodfellow and his team at Exeter’s Living Systems Institute and Professor Rebeccah Slater and her team at the University of Oxford. He is Principal Investigator for numerous experimental and clinical trials at Exeter’s award winning Neonatal Unit and is an advocate for family orientated developmental care.
Clinically, Ravi aspires to work in paediatric and neonatal neurology, epilepsy, and sleep medicine. His long-term research goal is to identify methods of improving neurodevelopment outcomes in some of the smallest and most vulnerable of patients.
- MRCPCH, Royal College of Paediatrics & Child Health
- DPhil, Clinical Neurosciences, University of Oxford
- MBBS, Medicine, King’s College London
- AKC, Associateship of King’s College, King’s College London
- BSc (Hons), Physiology & Pharmacology, King’s College London
- 2022 - Present: NIHR Clinical Lecturer in Paediatrics, University of Exeter Medical School
- 2020 - Present: Visiting Clinical Lecturer, Department of Paediatrics, Univeristy of Oxford
- 2018 - Present: Paediatric Specialist Trainee, South West Peninsula Deanery
- 2019 - 2022: NIHR Academic Clinical Fellow in Paediatrics, University of Exeter Medical School