Research IT Officer
Living Systems Institute T02.01
Living Systems Institute, University of Exeter, Stocker Road, Exeter, EX4 4QD
Tim is the Research IT Officer for the LSI. Tim has a background in clinical trial data management, systems development and infrastructure support, and has worked at the University for over six years, starting out at the Peninsula College of Medicine & Dentistry, working up to his previous role as the Senior Analyst Programmer in the Clinical Trials Unit and Clinical Research Facility aligned to the Medical School, the latter based in the RILD building at the Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital with a responsibility for the programming team, clinical trial data management systems and infrastructure.
He is a professional member of the British Computing Society as an experienced IT practicioner, has a foundation certification in ITIL 4 service management and applied knowledge of Web & Database Design (PHP, .NET, SQL), SharePoint development, Computer Systems Validation (Risk-based, GAMP, ISO27001), Research Data Management & Governance (GCP, DPA, GDPR), Clinical Trial database programming and Windows & Linux workstation/server administration.
Now based in the Professional and Technical Services office at LSI as part of the Research IT team, Tim is further developing his Linux administration experience, including connections to and use of the High Performance Computing and Research Data Storage systems in place and coming online shortly.
He is here to help PIs and research teams with any IT related issues, from solving on the ground research IT problems and procuring specialised IT equipment, to research data storage, data backup and governance or the availability of high performance computing services, either locally set up or utilising the ISCA HPC facility.
BSc (Hons) MediaLab Arts / Digital Art & Technology, University of Plymouth, 2007
ITIL 4 Foundation Certificate in IT Service Managment, 2019
- Web & MLE Development Assistant, Peninsula Medical School: 2005 - 2006
- Data Processing & Development Intern, Generator Research, : 2006 - 2007
- MLE Development Assistant, Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry: 2008 - 2011
- Assistant Programmer/Analyst, Plymouth University: 2011 - 2012
- Assistant Programmer, Peninsula Clinical Trials Unit: 2012 - 2013
- Medical Research Analyst Programmer, NIHR Exeter Clinical Research Facility: 2013 - 2016
- Senior Analyst Programmer, University of Exeter Clinical Trials Unit: 2016 - 2019
- LSI Research IT Officer, University of Exeter Living Systems Institute: 2019 - Present
Tim is keen to pursue certification as an ITIL4 Specialist in High Velocity IT.