Dr Michiel Vos
Senior Lecturer in Microbiology, Medical School
Environment and Sustainability Institute 2.06
Environment and Sustainability Institute, University of Exeter, Penryn Campus, Penryn, Cornwall, TR10 9FE, UK
I am a senior lecturer in microbiology at the European Centre for Environment and Human Health, based both at in Penryn and Truro. I combine approaches from microbiology, evolutionary ecology and population genomics. Main research foci in my lab are bacterial genome evolution and the ecology of antibiotic resistance- and virulence genes. Recent publications include:
Madi, N., Vos, M., Murall, C.L., Legendre, P. and Shapiro, B.J., 2020. Does diversity beget diversity in microbiomes?. Elife, 9, p.e58999.
Vos, M., 2020. The evolution of bacterial pathogens in the Anthropocene. Infection, Genetics and Evolution, p.104611.
Dickinson, A.W., Power, A., Hansen, M.G., Brandt, K.K., Piliposian, G., Appleby, P., O'Neill, P.A., Jones, R.T., Sierocinski, P., Koskella, B. and Vos, M., 2019. Heavy metal pollution and co-selection for antibiotic resistance: A microbial palaeontology approach. Environment International, 132, p.105117.
Vos, M., Buckling, A. and Kuijper, B., 2019. Sexual selection in bacteria?. Trends in Microbiology. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tim.2019.07.009
Hernandez, R.J., Hesse, E., Dowling, A.J., Coyle, N.M., Feil, E.J., Gaze, W.H. and Vos, M., 2019. Using the Wax moth larva Galleria mellonella infection model to detect emerging bacterial pathogens. PeerJ, 6, p.e6150.
Colclough, A., Corander, J., Sheppard, S.K., Bayliss, S.C. and Vos, M., 2019. Patterns of cross‐resistance and collateral sensitivity between clinical antibiotics and natural antimicrobials. Evolutionary Applications, 12(5), pp.878-887.
See for updates on my work the blog coastalpathogens.wordpress.com
- 2013: Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PCAP)
- 2002-2006: PhD at the Max-Planck Institute for Developmental Biology / Eberhard Karls University, Tübingen, Germany (PI Dr. Gregory Velicer) thesis title: “Natural Variation in the Social Bacterium Myxococcus xanthus” Magna cum Laude
- 1995-2001: B.Sc. and M.Sc. Biology at the University of Groningen, The Netherlands, including a 5-month stay at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, MA, USA)
- current: senior lecturer at the European Centre for Environment and Human Health, University of Exeter Medical School, University of Exeter, UK
- 2012-2017: lecturer at the European Centre for Environment and Human Health, University of Exeter Medical School, University of Exeter, UK
- 2009-2011: postdoctoral researcher at the Netherlands Institute of Ecology, Wageningen, The Netherlands (PI Prof. George Kowalchuk)
- 2007-2009: postdoctoral researcher at the University of Oxford, UK (PI Dr. Angus Buckling)
- 2004: academic visitor at the University of Bath, UK (three months) (PI Dr. Angus Buckling)
Research group links
Publications by category
Publications by year
Michiel_Vos Details from cache as at 2021-04-20 03:05:42