Dr Giordano Pula
Senior Lecturer in Cardiovascular Bio-medicine (E&R)
01392 72 2920
Medical School Building F.08B
Medical School Building, St Luke's Campus, Magdalen Road, Exeter, EX1 2LU, UK
After my first degree in molecular biology at the University of Parma (Italy), I spent 2 years in GSK working on ion channels and cell-based drug discovery assays. I then moved to the University of Bristol, where I obtained my PhD on GPCR signalling and trafficking under the supervision of Dr Eamon Kelly and Prof Peter Roberts. In my first postdoc at the University of Bristol under the supervision of Prof Alastair Poole, I have studied platelet signalling and published influential papers on protein kinase-dependent regulation of platelet responses (e.g. Pula et al. Blood, 108(13):4035-44). In my second postdoc at King’s College London under the supervision of Prof Manuel Mayr, I studied endothelial cell biology in the context of vascular regeneration and managed to publish important articles in this field too (e.g. Pula et al. Circ. Res., 104(1):32-40). As an independent scientist, I am pursuing research on both platelets and endothelial cells and I am utilising my expertise in these two contiguous research fields for the study of physio-pathological interactions between these cell types. My research on platelet and endothelial cell biology focuses on redox signalling. The importance of redox-dependent regulation in platelets is suggested by a range of solid observations ranging from the association of redox stress and blood hypercoagulability to the antiplatelet activity of dietary antioxidants to the direct inhibition of platelets by inhibitors of reactive oxygen species-generating enzymes.
PGCAP (Postgraduate Certificate Academic Practice), King’s College London
PhD, Molecular Pharmacology, University of Bristol
MSc, Molecular Biology MSc, University of Parma, Italy
- Scientific Diploma, Scientific Lycée “Belfiore”, Mantova, Italy
My current research focuses on vascular biology. Thrombosis is the most important cause of death in western countries and my research aims at underlying novel mechanisms responsible for this pathology and novel treatments to cure it. The regulation of angiogenesis and vasculogenesis is central to the regeneration of many tissues (bone, muscle, heart, skin, etc.) and my studies contribute to the development of regenerative medicine. My ultimate goal is the identification of novel ways to prevent thrombosis and ischemia or to rescue ischemic tissues and obtain their regeneration by boosting new blood vessel formation. My main postdoctoral projects are funded by the Biotechnical and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC), British Heart Foundation (BHF) and Alzheimer Research UK (ARUK). My current PhD projects focus on the use of endothelial progenitor cells for tissue engineering and the cerebrovascular alterations associated with Alzheimer’s and other dementia.
Areas of expertise include: 1) Vascular Cell Biology and Pharmacology, 2) Haemostasis and thrombosis; 3) Redox regulation of vascular cell physiology; 4) Regenerative angiogenesis; 5) Endothelial progenitor cell biology; 6) Neurovascular inflammation and dementia.
- "Cerebrovascular stress: a role for endothelial cells and platelets in Alzheimer's disease" (ARUK)
- “Characterisation of the role of NADPH oxidase 1 in collagen-dependent activation of platelets: a potential target for the development of novel antithrombotics?” (BHF)
- 2020 British Heart Foundation
2017-2020, Co-I (PI: Dr S. Bagby, Bath), FS/17/13/3269
- 2019 Alzheimer Research UK
2017-2019, PI, ARUK-PG2017A-3
- 2019 British Heart Foundation
2016-2019, Co-applicant (PI: Prof Sarah George, Bristol), PG/16/61/32300
- 2018 British Heart Foundation
2015-2018, PI, PG/15/40/31522
- 2016 MRC Confidence in Concept
2015-2016, PI, MRC/CIC/2015
- 2016 BBSRC ALERT14
2014-2016, Co-I (PI: Dr Amanda MacKenzie, Bath), BB/M012409/1
- 2015 BBSRC Project Grant
2012-2015, PI, BB/J002690/1
- 2013 Alzheimer Research UK
2013, PI, ARUK-PPG2013B-8
- 2012 Royal Society
2012, PI, RG120494
- 2012 Wellcome Trust, Multiuser Equipment Grant
2012, Co-I (PI: Prof Will Wood, Bath), ZR-W0258A
Publications by category
Publications by year
Giordano_Pula Details from cache as at 2020-11-26 20:37:32
External Engagement and Impact
- Best scientific communication award, Congress on Controversies in Thrombosis and Haemostasis (Moscow 2016).
- Excellence Award of the Faculty of Science (University of Bath, 2015)
- CSL Behring best scientific communication award at the Congress on Controversies in Thrombosis and Haemostasis (Berlin 2014).
- Travel Grant Award, British Society of Haemostasis and Thrombosis (2010).
- Young Investigator Award, International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis Congress (Sydney 2005).
- Travel Grant Award, British Society of Haemostasis and Thrombosis (2005).
- University of Parma Scholarship Award (1995-1997).
- UK platelet charity network steering committee (member).
- UK Platelet 2017 meeting (organiser).
- International Journal of Stem Cell Research and Transplantation (editorial board member).
- Reviewer for several international research journals (including Blood, British Journal of Pharmacology, Journal of Biological Chemistry, Molecular Medicine, Molecular Biology, Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, Platelets, PLOS One, Atherosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology, Antioxidant and Redox Signaling and Cell Signaling).
- Invited presentation at the San Raffaele Institute (Milan), January 2017.
- Invited presentation at the Institute of Cardiovascular Studies of the University of Birmingham, Seminar Series March 2015.
- Invited presentation at Centre for Cardiovascular and Metabolic Research of the Hull and York Medical School, Seminar Series March 2015.
- Invited presentation at the Bristol Heart Institute, May 2013.
- Invited presentation at the University of Pavia (Italy), Sept 2012.
- Interaction with local media: Radio interview for BBC radio Bristol (April 2015), BBC radio Wiltshire (April 2015), Breeze FM (Sept 2013), interviews and press release for Bath Chronicles and Western Daily Press (Sept 2013).
- Preparation and publication of editorials and commentaries for different journals and websites (including Pharmaceutical Journal, Haematology, Treatment Strategies and Innovations in Pharmaceutical Technologies).
Information not currently available