Dr Anne Leonard
Knowledge Spa ECEHH and ESI, Penryn Campus
University of Exeter Medical School, Knowledge Spa, Royal Cornwall Hospital, Truro, TR1 3HD
Dr Anne Leonard is an environmental epidemiologist and microbiologist working across disciplines to understand the presence and dissemination of antimicrobial resistant bacteria in natural environments, and the impact on human health resulting from exposure to resistant bacteria in natural environments.
Anne joined the European Centre for Environment and Human Health in 2013 to undertake a PhD in Medical Sciences. Since completing her PhD in 2016, she has been conducting research with the University of Exeter and the Chinese University of Hong Kong into antibiotic resistant bacteria in coastal bathing waters in Hong Kong.
She is currently undertaking research for a fellowship funded by the Natural Environment Research Council into catchment-level processes contributing to the transmission of antibiotic resistant bacteria in coastal bathing waters.
- 2016 PhD (University of Exeter)
- 2011 MSc (London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine)
- 2010 BSc (University of Exeter)
I aim to conduct research that provides evidence towards real-world decision-making aimed at protecting and improving public health.
I use a variety of methods to investigate the threat that microorganisms in the coastal zone pose to human health. I have experience of conducting systematic reviews, designing and analysing epidemiological surveys, and public engagement. My microbiological research has utilised culture-based and molecular methods, including membrane filtration, PCR and high-throughput sequencing techniques and analyses.
- Catchment-scale processes contributing to the transmission of antibiotic resistant bacteria in coastal bathing waters (Natural Environment Research Council)
- Exposure to antibiotic resistant bacteria in Hong Kong’s beaches (University of Exeter and Chinese University of Hong Kong)
Publications by category
Publications by year
Anne_Leonard Details from cache as at 2018-12-10 10:14:32
External Engagment and Impact
- Member of the Cornwall Antimicrobial Resistance Group
- Member of NEREUS COST ACTION ES1403
- Postgraduate representative on the University of Exeter Research Ethics Committee
- Member of team conducting a rapid evidence assessment of the threat to human health poses by antibiotic resistant bacteria in aquatic environments
- Countryfile (BBC One 14/01/18)
- Michael Mosley Vs the Superbugs (BBC Four 17/05/17)
- Spiegel (17/05/17)
- New York Times (04/04/17)
- No Such Thing As a Fish – Episode 106 (25/03/16)
- Microbiology Society (20/01/16)
- Buzzfeed (09/06/15)
- The Victoria Derbyshire Show (BBC One 08/06/15)