Professor Rob Anderson
Associate Professor of Health Economics and Evaluation
Rob Anderson is a health services researcher with a particular interest in the evaluation, economic evaluation and synthesis of evidence about complex health interventions, such as public health programmes and changes in service organisation and delivery. As part of his methodological interest in the evaluation of complex interventions he has become interested in the use of theory-driven methods of systematic review and evidence synthesis (in particular ‘realist review’), and is keen to apply these methods to issues of programme implementation, service change and evidence about the resource use and cost-effectiveness of interventions.
He is also involved in some economic evaluations alongside trials, of psychological interventions to prevent depression and anxiety, and of changes to care pathways and service delivery. He has over sixteen years' experience as a health services researcher and economic evaluator, in both the UK NHS and the Australian health system.
He has been Director of ESMI since April 2014. Within the wider Institute he is also a member of the Health Complexity Group and the Health Economics Group.
Broad research specialisms
- Health service delivery, design and programme evaluation
- Public health policy and programme evaluation
- Systematic reviews and evidence synthesis for policy-making (especially theory-driven approaches and responsive methods for informing policy makers).
- Knowledge mobilisation and implementation science
- PhD (Wales, 2002) effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of out-of-hours dental services
- MSc (LSHTM & London School of Economics, 1998) Health Policy, Planning and Financing
- MA(Econ.) (Manchester, 1995) Applied Social Research
- BA(Hons) (University of Oxford, 1989) Geography
In a varied career before reinventing myself as a health services and public health researcher I have been: an information officer in a London local governemnt planning department, an enumeration officer on the UK census and qualified as a management accountant in the chemical industry.
|Tel||+44 (0) 1392 726085|
|Address||University of Exeter
St Luke's Campus